Sunday, February 13, 2011

Poem of the day

Upon Awakening
- Katenka Nobernova

Upon awakening,
I find myself
alone among the sheets
instead of in your arms,
where up until a moment ago
I was dreaming peacefully.

My consciousness longs to flee again
into the dark illusions of the night
and I lie in melancholy stupor
as though a leaden weight
had replaced the beating of my heart.

You birds! You bright morning sun!
How you used to full me with an ecstatic joy
when I gazed upon the world
rising from slumber

But now your brightness mocks me
and my rising from the bedchamber
is filled with bitterness

1 comment:

Seraphim said...

This is a beautiful poem - it reminds me of something I read in a Greek poet once:

Clinging to the sweet savour of your lips
A fleeting eternity passes into mist,
Dried by the scorch of the morning sun.