Friday, March 25, 2011

Poem of the day

The Lie

It is dangerous to know me

dangerous to love and to try to understand me

for I am as intangible as the mist

to grasp me is to grasp at a wave as it crashes against the shore

or embrace sand, or take a drink of moonlight

It is dangerous to come close

into the secret chambers of my heart

what will you find there?

Will you find the image you have engraved in your mind?

Will you behold a vision pleasing to you?

Or with the air of unfamiliarity

will you flee in terror?

If you wish to love me

beware

Better it were that you should run far from me

remain untouched by me

for I am like Shiva, the destroyer

I take up the hearts of men

and for a time all is peace

but then the world comes to an end

O God,

am I caught in a never-ending cycle of death?

Doomed to destroy those who come seeking life?

Oh men of this earth,

why do you come to me seeking beauty?

That which you seek is the image of the divine

I will be your undoing

seek God instead

for in me is the road down to Sheol

into despair.

My lovers do not dally with me for a time

and then move on, unaffected.

They assimilate me into their hearts

and see nothing but me in their futures

So that when I disentangle myself from their arms

I take with me their souls

and they are left

broken and shattered


No comments: